Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and The Bookish.  Each week a new top ten list is posted, and to participate all you have to do is fill in YOUR top ten for the list.
This week the topic is:
Top Ten Books I’ve Read So Far This Year
I've not read a lot of literary/notable books this year, as I've been on a vintage mystery kick, but these are the ones I have enjoyed the most.

Mine are not in any particular order, just written down as I've thought of them.
  1. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
    This IS the best book (excluding rereads) that I have read this year and I recommend it to everyone, regardless of their preferred genre.  
  2. The Black Thumb by Constance and Gwyneth Little
  3. The Black-Headed Pins by Constance and Gwyneth Little
    I am so in love with the humorous mysteries of these ladies!
  4. The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim
    I reread this beloved classic; it gets better every time.
  5. Dead Men Don't Ski by Patricia Moyes
  6. Down Among the Dead Men by Patricia Moyes
    My introduction to her mysteries; she is fantastic.
  7. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
    Another reread, and another fantastic favorite.
  8. The Collector by John Fowles
    I can see why this has become a classic!
  9. Mrs. Dalloway by Virgina Woolf
    Yes, another reread.  I'd often rather reread an excellent favorite.
  10. Cleopatra: a Life by Stacy Schiff
    Fascinating biography.

3 comments:

  1. "The enchanted april" just sounds like the kind of book that I would like to read !!
    Rebecca is a fave
    Did you really like Mrs Dalloway - I thought about it ( after seeing the hours )
    I will ceratinly take you up on you giving advice.
    Hope your heath issues are resolving somewaht
    Sending you loads of love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read Rebecca so bad! I heard it is supposed to be a good horror novel and I am really looking for something to scare me. Great list and thanks for stopping by!

    Vyki @ On The Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not "horror" as we think of it now; it's more in line with the original "gothic" novels. It's a wonderful novel, and I can't recommend it enough, but it is a gentle read and not a fast-paced thriller. For readers more accustomed to today's styles, it might take getting used to; for readers who enjoy "vintage" novels, it would be a great fit. :)

      Delete