I found yet another appealing book challenge, through Bev at My Reader's Block.
The Summer 2013 Book Challenge from Semi-Charmed Life has caught my fancy. I don't know if I'll finish all of the challenge, but I always find it enjoyable to stretch myself with reading goals.
- The challenge will run from July 1, 2013, to September 30, 2013. No books that are started before 12 a.m. on July 1 or finished after 11:59 p.m. on September 30 will count.
- No re-reads (unless specifically stated)! I want you to experience new books with this challenge.
- Each book must be at least 200 pages long. Audiobooks are fine, as long as the print versions meet the page requirements.
- A book can only be used for one category. If you want to switch the category later, that's fine, just be sure to account for that in your point total.
5 points: Freebie! Read any book you'd like, as long as it follows the above rules. :)
The Barakee Mystery by Arthur Upfield; 336 pages. (July 2013)
5: Read a book that is less than 150 pages long.
- The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan; 148 pages (July 2013/audio)
10: Read a book with a color in the title.
The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey by Walter Mosley; 288 pages (July 2013)
10: Read a book that is not the first in its series. (And yes, it must be in a series.
The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (12th in the series) by Alexander McCall Smith; 240 pages (August 2013)
15: Read a book it seems everyone but you has read!
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury; 256 pages. I was late in "discovering" Bradbury--it seems that all my fellow fantasy and sci fi literary nerds had read this long ago! (July 2013)
15: Read a banned book.
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell, 267 pages.(August 2013/audio)
20: Read a book written by a celebrity.If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't) by Betty White; 272 pages (July 2013/audio) 20: Read a non-fiction book that is not a memoir.Becoming Myself: Embracing God's Dream of You by Stasi Eldrige; 256 pages; Christian Living nonfiction. (July 2013) My review is posted here. 20: Read a book that takes place in a state you have never been in.
The House without a Key by Earl Derr Biggers. Takes place in Hawaii; 240 pages. (July 2013)
25: Read a book that is at least 400 pages long.
The Book of Secrets by Elizabeth Joy Arnold; 464 pages. (July 2013)
25: Read a book with a main character who shares your first name.
The G-String Murders by Gypsy Rose Lee, 209 pages. Main character is Gypsy herself and though we spell it differently, I thought it would be close enough! (August 2013)
30: Read a book written by an author who was born in or died in your birth year.
The Barn Owl's Wondrous Capers by Sarnath Banerjee; 280 pages; born in 1972. (August 2013)
(I have condensed the challenge descriptions to save space; go to the original challenge page for more details.)