Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Top Ten Tuesdsay: Intimidating Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and The Bookish.  

Each week a new top ten list is posted, and to participate all you have to do is fill in your top ten for the list.
This week the topic is:

Top Ten Books That Intimidate Me:


These are the ones that I really want to read, but am intimidated because I don't think I will be able to comprehend what the author is trying to say: 
  1. any works by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  2. any works by Soren Kierkegaard
  3. Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon
  4. Ulysses by James Joyce
  5. Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust
  6. Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton




    These intimidate me for other reasons:
    1. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
      I like her philosophy, as I understand it, but I am intimidated by her reputation as a not-always-lucid writer.  
    2. That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis
      This is the third of his space trilogy.  I read the first two, and started this one.  I had a nightmare about it and (well over 20 years later) have never been able to bring myself to try it again.
    3. Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones
      I love Jones, absolutely adore her, and yet cannot bring myself to read this one.  It's about a dog!  I just can't do animal stories!
    4. Deerskin by Robin McKinley
      Another author I love, but I'm nervous about the topic and can't get started.


    On the other hand, I often see War and Peace, Lolita, and Les Misérables listed as intimidating.  I've read and loved all three, so even if I am scared to death of these guys, I've conquered my fear of those.

    3 comments:

    1. A CS Lewis book made my list too (The Problem of Pain). Difficult topics are tough...

      ReplyDelete
    2. interesting way to list some books ... going to think about what my list would look like

      ReplyDelete
    3. Great question! And your list is understandable. War and Peace is on my list. I will have to think of the others.

      ReplyDelete