Monday, August 12, 2013

The Classics Club Spin

I joined the Classics Club to encourage me to read/reread the classics with the fervor that I did before I hit a reading slump several years ago.  I feel it is serving that purpose, as I've already read three since I joined in early July!

One of the fun things the Classics Club does is "the Classics Spin".  Participants list twenty classics off their to-be-read list, and this becomes a "spin list".  On a specified day, the Classics Club facilitators will post a number between one and twenty, and whatever book is listed at that number is the one to be read.  I love a random chance (I would be a gambling addict if I allowed myself to start!) so naturally, I'm in.

Here is my list.  It is comprised of a few rereads, some that I'm not as excited about and several that I am pleasurably anticipating. On Monday, we'll see which number/book gets chosen!
  1. Flatland by Edwin Abbott
  2. Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake
  3. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
  4. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
  5. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel deFoe
  6. The Wasteland by T.S. Eliot
  7. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell  
  8. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
  9. Allan Quatermain by H. Rider Haggard
  10. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
  11. Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
  12. Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
  13. The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald
  14. Nineteen Eighty-four by George Orwell
  15. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  16. Nine Stories by JD Salinger
  17. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
  18. Five Weeks in a Balloon by Jules Verne
  19. Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
  20. The Island of Doctor Moreau by HG Wells

1 comment:

  1. love this list - I really like the look of your blog
    and that you combined all your blogs into one
    I often think that it really works better than trying to have separate blogs for books/cooking etc

    ReplyDelete