Saturday, November 9, 2013

October Book List



October 2013
Reading List

This month I did more cross stitching than any thing, so I didn't actually read many books.

It was  good month for audio books, as most that  I listened to were stellar and highly recommendable.





Books Read

  1. Anne of Windy Poplars (1936) by Lucy Maude Montgomery
    I am thoroughly enjoying this gentle series!
  2. Princesses Behaving Badly (2013) by Linda Rodriguez McRobbie
    Negative review coming soon.

Audio Books:







  1. The Lives of Christopher Chant (1988) by Diana Wynne Jones
    A reread; I love this series!
  2. Overture to Death (1939) by Ngaio Marsh
    I was fairly certain of the culprit early on, but enjoyed the narrative and characters tremendously.
  3. The Maltese Falcon (1930) by Dashiel Hammet
    I cannot believe how good this was!  I can't believe I waited so long to read it!
  4. Towards Zero (1944) by Agatha Christie
    Excellent mystery; kept me confused til the end.
  5. A Damsel in Distress (1919) by P.G. Wodehouse
    A delightful tale, typical of Wodehouse.  I knew from the first chapter what the happy endings would be, but that didn't lessen the enjoyment.
  6. Little Women (1868/9) by Louisa May Alcott
    I had only read a child's annotated version before this, and yet have devoured all I can find of her sensation stories, so the heavy, preachy tone surprised me.  I still enjoyed it, but not as much as I do her ridiculous thrillers.
  7. And Then There Were None (1939) by Agatha Christie
    A long-time favorite; this time I actually remembered "whodunnit", but still had a hard time believing it.  This is such a great mystery.
  8. The Cuckoo’s Calling (2013) by Robert Gailbraith
    This was an excellent book and I highly recommend it; well plotted, with excellent character development.  Looking forward to more in this series.
  9. Crooked House (1949) by Agatha Christie
    I figured out the murderer just a few pages before the startling answer was revealed; another highly recommended Christie. 
  10. The Silver Linings Playbook (2008) by Matthew Quick
    I strongly identified with Pat.  This book was beautiful, funny and poignant.  I recommend it universally.  I will say this, though: I looked at a few of the film clips and from what I could tell, the movie took pivotal, beautiful scenes and farce-ified them.  Read the book, skip the movie.
  11. The Black Angel (1943) by Cornell Woolrich
    Stunningly good noir; highly recommend.  This is my second time reading Woolrich and both were fantastic.
  12. The Marseilles Caper (2012) by Peter Mayle 
    I can't say that the book had a very riveting plot, and yet I kept listening to see what would happen next.  I enjoyed it enough that I'm planning to read another of this series.


1 comment:

  1. glad you reminded me of crooked house !! I just listened to Towards Zero and loved ot - even though I knew who dun it - I still was a surprise. Last year I also listened to "And then there were none" Since I listened to it while taking walks around the cabin - I cnnot listen to it any more as it makes me so nostalgic

    ReplyDelete