Tuesday, July 22, 2014

OctoFail

I am going to have a nautical theme for my August mantle.  I have a ship cross-stitched from about 25 years ago, but wanted at least one more piece.  I found this simple but striking free pattern and was immediately struck by it.

I decided to use variegated floss for the first time. I did okay with it, but not great.  I guess it's a good first effort. . .  I definitely want to use it again, but will need to see if I can find some tutorials on how to stitch with it properly.

When I started on my second row of chevrons tonight, I noticed that I am somehow off a few stitches--just enough to make my chevrons uneven.  I know it can be fixed, but I'm just too disappointed to deal with it.  I'll put it aside and either find the problem later, restart it after the piece I just began, or just give it up all together.

You can't tell from this photo, but the cloth is pale blue.

3 comments:

  1. Great! I'm proud my pattern is been stitched! Please don't put it away, I'd love to see your work finished! Hope you can send me a picture to : l'arbreaidees@gmail.com !

    ReplyDelete
  2. larbreaidees@gmail.com ... Sorry :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I will try to fix my mistake, or even just do it all over. It is such a striking pattern!

    ReplyDelete