Monday, April 22, 2013

Tolstoy and Toilet Paper

Wonderful weekend!  We made those really easy oatmeal/chocolate/peanut butter cookies, and then stood there and ate them with a spoon as they hardened.  It's good to be an adult!

I worked on my Sugar Skull; it's coming along quite nicely.

 

Had to put it back on hold, though, because Week Four of the Spring Sampler arrived early this morning.  I did the raindrops after dinner tonight. (The cloth is actually pale blue, but always gets washed out in photos.)


We also enjoyed sitting outside in our secret spot on these cool evenings.  Such a pleasure!  Every cool day in April is a hot day stolen from summer!

--------------------------------------------------------------
St. John had a fantastic weekend.  He discovered toilet paper.

Yesterday, my husband left a roll in the bathroom floor right before we took a nap.  When I got up, the bathroom and hall were filled with shreds and he was lying on the rug in the living room, eating what was left of the roll.  Sadly, cat's just can't be shamed:


Also sadly, it appears that a taste for toilet paper, once developed, is insatiable. This is what happened while I was in the shower and unable to stop him.  (I know what you are thinking: "Why didn't you throw water on him?"  Because, unlike a typical cat, my kitten loves water!)


 Then, believe it or not, as I was taking the above photo to post, this happened:


I guess it's time to start hiding the toilet paper in a bag or something!

--------------------------------------------------------------
I listen to audio books voraciously: in the store, in the car, in the shower, while crafting and cleaning. . . I average 7 a month.  This month, though, has been dedicated solely to Anna Karenina--all 35 and 1/2 hours of it.  

A dozen or so years ago, I read War and Peace; I loved it.  Tolstoy is amazing.  He is so in depth about what is going on in the lives of his characters.  Simply fantastic novel.  

I had never read Anna Karenina, though, as I honestly don't care for romance in general and adulterous romances are certainly not my bag. This book opens with a husband caught in adultery who is not sorry, and if you go by the blurbs, centers on Anna leaving her husband for a young officer.  

I decided I'd give it a third try, though, since I really did enjoy War and Peace, and I checked out the audio book from the library.  It is excellent, and is does not fully center on adultery and I am very interested in most of the characters.

However, at about 28 hours in, I am nearly ready to throw in the towel.  There was an hour long segment on hunting, and I just can't see how it added to the story.  I pushed on through and now am in a lengthy scene about a political election.  I don't want to quit--not this far in!!--but am frankly, bored.  I want to know how it's all going to wrap up, but I want to "skim" this political talk.  That is the one bad thing about audio books: I can't skim the parts that I find dull.  

I can't decide whether to take a break and listen to something else in between or just press on.  




1 comment: