Books Read:
- The Barn Owl's Wondrous Capers (2007) by Sarnath Banerjee
I found the story hard to follow, perhaps too clever for me, but Banerjee is a talented artist and I had no trouble interpreting the emotions he portrayed. - A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent (2013) by Marie Brennan
Fabulous yarn with a wonderful narrator; I look forward to more installments! - Transparent Things (1972) by Vladimir Nabokov
Parts of it were absolutely brilliant, parts of it I didn't get. I plan to reread it in a few weeks before writing about it. - The Saturday Big Tent
Wedding Party
(2011) by Alexander McCall Smith
The twelfth in his charming No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I've not read all of them, but this was as gentle, warm and enjoyable as the others I have read. - Death at the President's Lodging (1936) by Michael Innes
I found this an intelligent well-written novel--it's rare I need the dictionary for a mystery!--and the solution was believable and amusing. This was my first time reading Innes, and he will be a favorite. - Some Die Eloquent (1979) by Catherine Aird
The first mystery I've run across by Aird; she's now another author I wish I had found sooner. I look forward to reading more! - The Imposter Bride (2013) by Nancy Richler
Well written and richly layered; I read it in two days. (Don't be fooled by the title; it's not a romance.) Highly recommend this one. - The G-String Murders (1941) by Gypsy Rose Lee
Rather ambitious plot with a somewhat murky ending, but both characterizations and conversations were excellent. The inside look at the burlesque was also wonderful. - American Born Chinese (2006) by Gene Luen Yang
Graphic novel, often poignant, with an excellent message that would be especially relevant to teens that feel like outsiders.
- Death of a Gossip (1985) by M. C. Beaton
The first of the Hamish MacBeth mysteries. I didn't care for the foul language, and the readers weren't given enough information/clues, but I did like Hamish quite a bit; I may read more of this series, if I find myself short of audiobooks. - Poseidon's Gold (1993) by Lindsey Davis
I am rereading the earlier ones of this series as I work my way to the ones I've not yet read. I enjoy the characters and plots, and especially all the historical details. - The Secret of the Old Clock (1930) by Carolyn Keene
I am sure I must've read this one as a pre-teen, since my parents blessed me with a large collection of Nancy Drew books, but I didn't remember the plot. It was silly, yes, but I still enjoyed it--especially now that I can picture the clothes and vehicles in the right time period. - Sparkling Cyanide (1945) by Agatha Christie
An intriguing "stand-alone" mystery. I hadn't read this one before and was kept constantly guessing and changing my mind about who was guilty. - By the Pricking of My Thumbs (1968) by Agatha Christie
Another in the Tommy and Tuppence series; a rather complex solution, but satisfying, nonetheless. - Anne of Green Gables (1908) by Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Anne of Avonlea (1909) by Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Anne of the Island (1915) by Lucy Maud Montgomery
I had seen the two Anne mini-series as a teen, but had never read the books. These books are gentle, pleasurable, and full of the morals and mores of the turn of the 20th century. I was immediately drawn into the stories and felt deeply for the characters. I will definitely read the rest of the series. (Naturally, the mini-series bear only little resemblence to the books; why make up things for the movies when the books were filled with such wonderful material?!?!?) - The Sign of the Four (1890) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The second Holmes novel; better written and more enjoyable than the first but still not of the quality that the short stories will become. Still good fun, though. - Instructions for a Heat Wave (2013) by Maggie O'Farrell
The characters and situations seemed very true to life, as did the rather ambiguous ending. I found it an excellent read. - Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949) by George Orwell
Wow. I'll be writing up some notes about it soon. (update: my discussion is here.)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.