Sunday, September 8, 2013

Looking Back: Woah! Whatta Week!




Some good things this week:

  • The cutest thing was LizzieLouLa loving greasy cut short beans!  (Do you have them in your part of the world?)  They have always been my family's favorite green bean, and Mom's did well this year.  I was eating some and Lizzie wanted to smell.  I didn't expect a cat to eat a green bean, so I had no trouble pretending to share.  She ate it, and another, and had four pieces the next night!
  • First hot tea (or any hot drink for that matter) since about mid spring; huzzah for fall weather!  I love hot tea, especially chai!
  • The new autumn/Halloween fragrances from my favorite small business arrived this week.  They are Frosted Pumpkin (smells like pumpkin bread and yummy vanilla icing), Full Moon (my favorite of this season; smells like mulled apple cider), Zombie Brains (smells like Granny Smith apples) and Poisonberry Cider (smells like blackberries, cranberries and spices) and they are all great.  I highly recommend checking out this little shop; I guarantee you won't be disappointed.  I've bought jewelry, lip balm, perfume oil, perfume sprays and buttons from her and have loved everything I have gotten. (And, no, I'm not getting any kickbacks; I just love these products that much!)
  • I am working on the Frosted Pumpkin's Halloween sampler, and I wanted a grey fabric.  Since I couldn't find anything I wanted, I tried dying the fabric.  It was my first time using Rit and it worked beautifully!  I used the "pearl grey" powder, and stirred it for about six minutes.  It's a lovely, light purpley grey; just perfect for what I wanted.  I don't have any photos yet, but I will by the end of this coming week.
Some bad things too. . . 
  • Our well water began to taste bad on Monday, so we're drinking bottled water as we run some tests.  Seeing that I drink at least a gallon a day (measured out to be sure, because my body needs that much), it is rather expensive!  Happily, most of the tests look okay.  The pH is extremely high, as is the hardness.  The latter is no surprise, but I'm going to have to research what to do for both.  The worrisome thing is that the bacteria test we did didn't give us a certain result either way.  We're going to have to find another, more specific test.  Extra prayers about our water situation would be so appreciated!
  • Our oven completely died on us at the end of last week!  After some thought we decided to buy a larger toaster oven for now. We got a Oster Designed For Life Extra-Large Convection Countertop Oven for under $100 at WalMart.  It is fantastic.  It holds a 9 x 13 Pyrex with no trouble at all!  I think this is going to be a wonderful addition.  I'll write up a review after we've had it a while, but thus far, I actually like it better than our oven.  This might not turn out to be as bad of a thing as it could've been.


Woah! Whatta week!

On Monday I my husband was home and I didn't do much.  I made a few breakfast and lunch things for him, did the laundry, we played mancala (I won 2 out of 3) and then I cross-stitched for a while during the evening.

Tuesday became grocery day, since Monday was a holiday.  So, I went to Kroger (it's always worth it to go to extra stores if they have cheaper items), Walmart (shopped, and had the oil changed), the bank, and had a short visit with Mom. By the time I wrestled all the groceries and that huge toaster oven into my hatchback, I had a massive migraine! If it hadn't been for the hatchback, I would've never succeeded!

Wednesday was noon Communion, which I love; wonderful way to pause and reflect mid-week. After church, I had to stop by Kroger again (I had forgotten my almond milk!), go to FedEx to send back that horrible printer, and go by Walgreens for prescriptions.  Luckily, I had packed a lunch (Celiac and borderline diabetes will teach you that, if nothing else), but I still had a migraine again long before I got home.

On Thursday, things got odd.  My husband stayed home sick!  In the past 12 years, I can only remember him taking five or so sick days--he was terribly sick with a chest cold!  Of course, my schedule was totally off with him home.  I tried to be quiet so he could sleep, which kept me from doing usual chores.  I made him veggie soup, and made myself a big pot of macaroni and cheese (thank heavens I did, as you'll see later), and seemed to spend most of the day in the kitchen.  Then, I coughed all night!

He went into work on Friday, and I had a last-minute, urgent appointment that morning.  Before I left the house, I knew I had his cold.  After the appointment, I had to wait a long, long, long (well over an hour) time for Walgreens to fill a new and important prescription.  I stocked up on more chest cold medicine, went home to bed.  He barely made it a half day, and came stumbling in shortly after.

From that point until now, we've both been too ill to even stand for long periods of time, let alone cook or clean.  I'm so grateful for those meals I cooked on Thursday!  My darling Mom has answered my cry for help and is coming over tomorrow to help me clean the kitchen and prepare some food.  My husband is going to see how he feels in the morning before deciding about work.  How's that as an end to a week that started so well?!?!


At this point, I really can't imagine doing anything this coming week.  If I do, it will most likely be the things I wasn't able to accomplish this past week due to all the running around and being sick:
  • mop the kitchen floor  (Yeah, I know.  By now, I'm hardly even bothered by it anymore.)
  • clean out the tiny closet in the "closet room" and see if I can make it usable.
  • measure and plan out what will be needed for the rest of my craft supply shelves
  • reorganize the two kitchen cabinets that are left
  • write up my thoughts about Nineteen Eighty-Four
  • research for a new vet
I am thankful for:
  • Mom and her willingness to help
  • drinkable water, even if I have to buy it
  • St. John the Great Lizard Hunter
  • Lizzie the Nurse Cat
  • how good it feels when a migraine goes away

3 comments:

  1. I hope you and your husband feel better soon and that your water situation turns out ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! He's still so ill he took today off, and then finally decided just to take the whole week as vacation. It has really beaten him up!

      I think we're going to have the county test our well. . . Here's hoping it will be ok!

      Delete
  2. omg poor hubby
    hope he feels better soon and that the well water is okay
    Sounds like a really busy week
    Love hearing about your days

    ReplyDelete