Friday, June 28, 2013

Book Beginnings: The Mouse in the Mountains

Rose City Reader hosts "Book Beginnings on Friday":  You are invited to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.

Thursday night, I started reading The Mouse in the Mountain by Norbert Davis. I was immediately interested in Doan and his Great Dane.  I'm only two chapters in, but the dialogue is wonderful thus far and the characters are intriguing.  This is my first time reading Davis, and if the book continues as it has started,  it won't be my last.
When Doan and Carstairs came down the wide stairway and walked across the pink-tiled floor that was the pride and joy of the Hotel Azteca, the guests in the lobby stopped whatever they were doing to pass the time away and stared open-mouthed. Doan was not such-a-much, but Carstairs usually had this effect on people, and he left a whispering, wondering wake behind him as he stalked across to the glassed side doors and waited with haughty dignity while Doan opened one of the doors. He ambled through it ahead of Doan into the incredibly bright sunlight on the terrace.

This lovely vintage cover borrowed from this review.

7 comments:

  1. I'd keep reading this book.I am a sucker for books with dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds adorable! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for popping over! If Harvee's a sucker for dogs, I'm a sucker for vintage covers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delightful...I'm glad you're enjoying it. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that vintage cover. And I'm a huge fan of vintage mysteries. Now I must go learn more about this book and this author.

    Thanks for playing along with Book Beginnings on Fridays! Welcome!

    Rose City Reader

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that cover and love books with dogs. Sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. vintage mysteries .... vintage being what years? when I was growing up?

    ReplyDelete